Career and Small Business Program Manager
Encuentro, Albuquerque, NM
June 30 or until posting is removed
Encuentro seeks a responsive and resourceful individual to join our team as the Career and Small Business Program Manager. This position will oversee the continued development of Encuentro’s income-generating initiatives for Latino immigrants specifically as they relate to general small business development and the En Casa Care Connections project, an online matching registry for our Home Health Aide graduates. The Program Manager will provide leadership to a diverse, smart, and creative team including instructors, consultants, and staff as well as community partners to ensure that Encuentro achieves its ambitious goals and desired programmatic impacts in this area. The Program Manager will play a central role as part of Encuentro’s executive team to integrate this project area into the fabric of Encuentro’s organizational structure and mission.
Founded in 2010, Encuentro is a non-profit organization with a mission to transform our state into a thriving community for all New Mexicans by engaging with Latino immigrants in educational and career development opportunities that build skills necessary for economic and social justice. The organization operates with an annual budget of approximately $800,000. Encuentro enrolls over 400 students per year in programs such as ESL, computer training, GED, financial literacy, small business and Home Health Aide training.
Encuentro has played a leadership role in developing Spanish language business training for Latino immigrants in Albuquerque, and is currently engaged in various citywide efforts to explore creative opportunities and resources to support immigrant entrepreneurs.
The Home Health Aide training program has been underway since January of 2016 and over the past five semesters has enrolled, retained and graduated 100% of its students. Home Health Aides are the fastest growing workforce in the state and Encuentro is a leader in promoting dignified training and career options for our Latino immigrant graduates.
This is an exciting time to join the Encuentro team as we work side-by-side with our Latino immigrant community and ally organizations to identify opportunities for advancement and full realization of immigrant contributions to our state. To learn more about the work of Encuentro please visit www.encuentronm.org and www.encasacare.com.
Working in collaboration with the Executive Director, Encuentro staff and community partners, the Career and Small Business Program Manager is principally responsible for leadership in the following areas.
Small Business training and consulting:
- Manage Encuentro’s programmatic work in the areas of small business and career development
- Oversee curriculum and training for Encuentro’s Spanish language small business and financial literacy courses
- Oversee Encuentro’s Individual Development Account program for up to 15 savers annually
- Work with instructors to provide small business training and consulting to Spanish speaking entrepreneurs enrolled in Encuentro classes
- Together with the Executive Director participate and represent Encuentro in city-wide collaborative projects to support Latino immigrant entrepreneurs
- Provide leadership to the organization and its community partners to support the exploration of alternative income-generating models including worker cooperatives, worker centers, etc
Home Health Aide (HHA) Career Support:
- Oversee En Casa Care Connections online registry, including client-graduate matching, technical oversight, data and reporting
- Work together with Encuentro’s strategic initiatives consultant to respond to caregiver requests submitted to the En Casa Care Connections site
- Provide professional development counseling to Home Health graduates to expand work opportunities
- Support students enrolled in HHA course by providing orientation in the area of self-employment
- Conduct financial analysis of En Casa Care program to inform strategic directions of the program
- Work with Encuentro’s HHA team to understand regulatory requirements related to self-employment opportunities in the home health sector including small business, independent contracting and worker cooperative models
- Ensure that the work is effectively coordinated within the organization as well as externally with key community partners.
- Support Encuentro’s fundraising and development actions by participating in presentations to funders, identifying new funding sources, co-authoring grants and reports, and other activities in this programmatic area
Ideal candidates for the Career and Small Business Program Manager position should possess a solid understanding of the Latino immigrant experience in the US labor force and the barriers and opportunities faced particularly as entrepreneurs. Candidates should have a passion for social justice and immigrants’ rights, and enjoy working together with a diverse set of partners.
- Minimum BA preferably in business, planning, economic development or other related fields
- Excellent bilingual verbal and written skills in both English and Spanish
- Career counseling experience
- Strong group facilitation and training skills. Adult education experience a plus
- Deep knowledge of small business resources available in the greater Albuquerque/Bernalillo County area
- Confident public speaker
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical, writing and communication skills
- Experience conducting evaluations, collecting and analyzing data, and report writing
- Proficient in Microsoft programs specifically in WORD and EXCEL
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed on a limited basis
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights and issues of social and economic justice
- Personally committed to advancing the Encuentro’s values, mission, goals and programs
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to navigate and resolve conflict in a manner that values and respects relationships with colleagues inside and outside the organization
- Intellectual agility, highly organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, strategis
- Excellent time management skills including the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- A self-starter and finisher with a demonstrated ability to manage projects and follow-through with minimal direct supervision
- Emotionally mature, with a sense of humor and the ability to maintain balance and perspective
- A flexible team player who works collaboratively, shares responsibilities, and supports and acknowledges colleagues’ contributions.
- A commitment to diversity; respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, arrest or conviction history, and socio-economic circumstance
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time salaried position. Compensation is based on years of experience and the non-profit industry standard in New Mexico for a Program Manager. Salary range, $42,000 – $50,000 dependent on experience. Benefits include paid vacation, medical insurance, 401k plan, sick leave, and generous paid holidays.
Send a resume (English) and cover letter (Spanish), addressing the responsibilities and qualifications referenced above to [email protected]. Please include your last name and “Career and Small Business Program Manager” in the subject line, and indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by June 30, 2018.
Encuentro is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Encuentro encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.